If you are a victim of domestic violence, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline! Support, resources, and advice for your safety are available.
Available: 24/7, 365 days a year. Bilingual advocates on hand.
Chat now: M-F, 10am-8pm ET
Assistance such as access to shelters is also available from the Virginia Department of Social Services.
- Hotline: 1-800-838-8238 (available 24/7)
Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Did you know that:
- A woman is assaulted or beaten in the United States every 9 seconds.
- Domestic Violence is the leading cause of injury to women.
- Studies suggest that as many as 10 million children witness domestic violence every year.
- Almost 20% of teenage girls experience dating abuse.
- Women lose 8 million days of paid work because of abuse.
- As many as 3 women a day are killed by their husbands or boyfriends in the United States.
Implementing an Effective Domestic Violence Awareness Program
In 1989 Congress designated October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month. This is a special time to mourn those who have died because of domestic violence, celebrate survivors, and work to end the violence. The National Council of Catholic Women developed the Women Healing the Wounds program and, as a continuation of that work, NCCW has put together a guide to help you and your organization plan an effective and productive Domestic Violence Awareness program of outreach to your council and/or parish.
Please click here for English and Spanish language program resources.